Senior care involves a variety of emphases, and one of the simplest yet most overlooked is hydration. The human body is made up of over 50% water, so it should come as no surprise that dehydration can be harmful to our health. Here are five reasons why drinking water should play a role in your senior care routine.
- Your joints will thank you – Water relaxes joints, meaning proper hydration can help ease joint pain. If you or your loved one suffers from arthritis or chronic joint discomfort, increasing water intake may help relieve daily aches and pains and in turn, improve quality of life. Make sure to drink a glass of water an hour before participating in any Grand Oaks exercise classes.
- Water keeps you comfortable – If you or your loved one suffers from extreme highs and lows in temperature, drinking more water can help keep your body temp regulated. Water works as an insulator and can help you remain at a comfortable temperature. Try keeping a cup of water next to you wherever you are in your Grand Oaks suite.
- Kick-start your metabolism – Like many other bodily functions, your metabolism benefits from drinking water. Staying hydrated aids in digestion, meaning you’re less likely to feel bloated or uncomfortable after meals, and you’re more likely to stay satiated between meals. Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after each meal in the Grand Oaks dining room.
- Water is brain fuel – Our brains are made up of 90% water, meaning our critical thinking and reasoning can suffer greatly when we’re dehydrated. Drinking more water will keep your mind sharp and can lessen your likelihood of getting headaches. Try drinking a glass of water before participating in any activities such as Scrabble or Bridge.
- Avoid heat exhaustion – Senior care in Florida means heat exhaustion can be a genuine concern. Simply sitting outside in the heat for more than an hour can result in dehydration. If you know you’re going to be on the porch or walking outside of the Grand Oaks community for more than an hour, bring a bottle of water with you to stay hydrated.